Keypirinha is a fast launcher for keyboard ninjas on Windows.
- Quickly find and launch plethora of items like applications, files, bookmarks, URLs, sessions (PuTTY, WinSCP, FileZilla), registry keys, …
- Launch a search on any configured website or online dictionary
- Language translations on-the-fly
- Evaluate mathematical expressions
- Base conversion of numbers
- Search your environment variables
- Launch a copied URL directly (
- Split a URL and convert its arguments to JSON
- Switch to a running application by name
- Hash a string (CRC32, MD5, SHA, …)
- Generate random UUIDs, passwords, bytes sequences
- Naturally associate a keyword to a specific item
- Machine-specific and/or user-specific configuration in separate config files
- … and more, see Shipped Packages and Third-Party Packages
- Plugin-oriented architecture (C++ at its core, Python3 for its plugins)
- File-driven configuration
- Lightning fast
- Fairly small memory footprint
- Battery friendly
- Customizable GUI (colors, fonts, toggling and positioning of elements)
- Steep but rewarding learning curve
- Freeware, no nag screen, no time limit, no ads
You can think of Keypirinha as an alternative to Launchy and a cousin of Alfred.
See the First steps chapter for more information.
There are already existing launchers for Windows out there and we have tried a lot of them before deciding to develop Keypirinha. Including the inspiring Synapse, which unfortunately supports Linux only.
They are either not keyboard-only oriented, not flexible enough, not always extensible, too bloated, too slow, unstable, or just outdated (implying a broken support for recent platforms).
Keypirinha has been started as a personal project and is not meant to be better than all of them. It offers a recent alternative that is blazing fast, flexible, memory efficient, battery friendly and smart about the search results it provides.
By battery friendly, we mean that with the default configuration, Keypirinha consumes zero CPU cycle once it has been initialized and when not used (i.e. most of its lifetime).
However, by design, its graphical user interface (GUI) is minimalistic and its learning curve may feel steep to some, depending on how you want to use it and extend it. That makes of Keypirinha quite a niche project, mostly addressed to advanced users.
In short, the application itself is not, its official plugins are.
No, Keypirinha can be considered stable.
Keypirinha is used by a small but involved community that has shown itself reactive in reporting issues and interacting with the developer. As a result, maintenance releases are usually pushed pretty fast if a severe issue is reported.
Keypirinha is distributed for free and you are absolutely not required to participate in any way, so please do not feel that you have to.
However, the application itself and the official packages are the result of several hundreds of hours of development spent by a single person so if you do wish to show your support, please know that it is greatly appreciated and taken as an encouragement for future developments.
There are several ways to support Keypirinha:
- Make a donation
PM @polyvertex if you have questions or special enquiries.
- Like it, Star it, spread nice words about it
- Help with the Documentation
- Help to develop the official packages
Get involved in the development of the Packages
- There are plans to develop an automated packages redistribution platform
Get involved in the development of the Platform
Keypirinha is a combination from the terms Keyboard and Caipirinha, the brazilian cocktail, which the author really encourages you to try if you haven’t yet!